Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Petco Park: A Review

Well after a full season with the new ball park I figured I'd throw out some pros and cons to the park. I'll just do my Top 10 pros and cons.

Pros:
1. Nice location near the bay and in the middle of down town.
2. Western Metal Supply Building and field looks real nice
3. I like how they scan your ticket. Also if you buy tickets on line all you gotta do is swipe your credit card to get in. That's sick.
4. Park in the park is a nice idea. Nice for the kids to run wild.
5. Bigger seats for bigger butts. The seats are rotated towards the field. More leg room.
6. More food choices. Restaurant type atmosphere.
7. I'm starting to struggle to think of pros. It's nice that you can find free street parking without too much trouble and nice little walk.
8. I bet those box seats are nice. I'd like to go in one sometime.
9. Really struggling now. Oh I like that giant Sand Box in center field aka "the kitty litter box"
10. I like the fact that there are designated standing areas where you can watch the game.


Cons:
1. Not enough Restrooms or they aren't big enough. Never once did I have to wait in line at Qualcomm Stadium. Now I'm waiting in line and it's crazy dirty. They looked nice when they were new, but with that many people using a small bathroom they get filthy.
2. You can't just walk straight to a place in the ball park. You have to climb stairs and turn corners, take elevators, avoid security guards, walk down ramps, weave through Pad Squadders... etc.
3. Sometimes it's hard just to find an exit.
4. Those seats on top of the Western Metal Supply aren't for Padres Fans. They are ALWAYS being used for Corporate Suits doing their big business. The entire area on top is ALWAYS roped off for big wig execs.
5. There isn't much unique to San Diego about the park. Couldn't they have given it a mission theme or something?
6. They shoulda put the walk ways behind the seats instead of in front. You have people walking in front of you in View the entire time. I don't like those employees holding signs to make you wait to go to your seat between pitches either.
7. Everything is so expensive. Seats, food, parking, gear...
8. You can't have enough Day games because of the location. That kinda sucks. I love a good day game. I think the park looks a lot better in the day without all the flashing Ads, which brings us to...
9. So many Ads, it was worse when it first opened. The scoreboard was so distracting.
10. Park in the Park doesn't have much of a view and they kick you out when they have firework shows. "Hey I paid for my park in the park seat, you can't kick me out in the 7th inning! Maybe I can't afford a real seat like those big wigs but you can't kick me out!" This actually happened to me.

7 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Con #11: The taxpayers are paying millions annually in debt service for this joint, which is bringing in loads of revenue to the team (or should be, if it's being properly managed), yet somehow people laugh at me when I suggest it would have been nice to sign, say, Carlos Beltran or Mike Cameron. Having Dave Roberts start at CF in your shiny new ballpark is like having a blind man drive you in your Ferrari. We need the top software to go with this top-of-the-line hardware.

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way David thinks. I agree completely.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger jbox said...

Why did we spend all the money on the new ball park to get good players? Why not just use tax payer money to get a good player cut out the middle man? We still haven't seen the Pads make any big moves with their increased revenue.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kev. I don't know why it's cool for everybody to complain about the bad hot dogs they had last year, but when someone voices the type of complaints that I am talking about, they are a hater and non-supporter of the team and the new park. It's like there are acceptable complaints and then don't-go-there complaints.

I love the team and the new park. However, I think these issues are somehow even more important than RJ's BBQ being stuck in a crappy trailer. Especially considering the city's financial state at the moment...

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger jbox said...

I think we should complain about both, the bad hot dogs and the failure of the management to re-invest in the team.

I agree with David by the way more then Kev or Dex does.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger jbox said...

Although... when I'm standing in a puddle of urine and paper towels in extremely crowded restroom, I tend to be more upset by that. Mostly cuz I wear flip flops to games.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you guys complete idiots?
I completly disagree with you review on the park.
First of all:
#5. There isn't much unique to San Diego about the park. Couldn't they have given it a mission theme or something?

What the heck, did you guys not notice the tile represents the cliffs of torrey pines, the white steel (oppose to other parks green/grey) represents our skies and white water ocean, the unique foods like rubios, Anthonys, Oggis, that only SD has. The friar bell (mission), the beautiful san diego wildflowers growing all over the park?...

I don't like those employees holding signs to make you wait to go to your seat between pitches either.
...Every ballpark has this, it's a courtesy and not mandatory!

9. So many Ads, it was worse when it first opened. The scoreboard was so distracting.
Well, they pay for the park inorder for you toenjoy the Padres, I agree it looks like someone let a 3 year old color all over the park, but they're paying good money and it makes everything cheaper in the end. It's a new park, deal with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home