Friday, March 18, 2005

The Fighting Boy Geniuses of San Diego

These posts recently have been so mean spirited. I think I'm taking in roids by osmosis from c-span and espnews, but the only effect I'm feeling is the rage part. Jbox too. That Gwynn post was mean.

Thankfully... Our fantasy teams have been picked! I have to go over my team a bit and see about making some moves, but check out my rotation and bullpen: Peavy, Ollie Perez, and my own personal coup: ALL THREE HEADS OF THE THREE HEADED MONSTER!

That's right, even though my offense looks amazingly weak - my best hitter is Berkman, and he's out for a little bit - I have the Padres dream 1-2 punch of pitchers and the heart of (in my humble opinion) the league's best bullpen. If we could have had Ollie and Peavy this year as they both mature... Oh I salivate at the thought. Luckily, thanks to the magic of fantasy baseball, they can be together not only in our imaginations, but on my team... The Boy Geniuses.

And the Three Headed Monster. I know it was silly to bump up Linebrink and Otsuka when it probably cost me all kinds of hitters, but I have to think about the confidence these guys will instill in the rest of my rotation. You having trouble in the 5th, boys? Don't worry. Three headed monster to the rescue.

By the way, I almost had the opportunity to meet Scott Linebrink while Jess and I were in Austin. We went to the Round Rock winter banquet. I shook Nolan Ryan's hand and had dinner with Reese Ryan and his lovely wife. Reese is a hearty eater. Not an especially big guy girthwise, but man, he can put the food away. It wasn't until later in the dinner did the MC mention that Scott Linebrink was in attendance. My offseason addled mind, combined with the delicious dinner and watching Reese Ryan literally inhale his food, prevented me from registering that it was the Scott Linebrink until after the dinner and we were in the parking lot.

A shame, really. I would've liked to have met him as he turned me into a fan after last season. At least he's on my fantasy team now. I'll be able to treat him to a fat contract with all the perks.

Now, I just better check out my competition...

Oh, a funny story about Nolan Ryan. The whole reason we were at the winter banquet was because Jess's brother was MVP on the Round Rock Express last season. We were guests of some distinction! Which, I guess, was why they trusted our rag tag group to sit with Nolan's son (I'm talking about my in-laws, wife and Brooks' better half, also a Jessie).

Anyways, it was up to Brooks to introduce us to Nolan, but having only met the Hall of Famer once, he was a bit flustered. Going down the line, he introduced his wife, Jessie, as "my wife Jessie" and his sister, also named Jessie, as "my wife Jessie". Then he introduced me as "Dex". So, as far as Nolan Ryan could tell, the MVP of the baseball team he owns is a bigamist with a fondness for Jessies and has a man servant. Nolan, to his credit, just kinda nodded sheepishly and shook all our hands like he's always meeting perverts like us.

OK, story time over. I gotta check out my team!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home