Thursday, March 03, 2005

Afternoon Notes

Sleepy day here. Ten minutes before my 2 o'clock Dr Pepper. Let's see what's going on.

Here's a review of Fever Pitch. Based on the Nick Hornby (High Fidelity, About a Boy) book about soccer, Americanized for baseball. You get the Farrely brothers and you give them Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore. (Adam Sanlder wasn't available?) This was the one that was filming at the playoffs last season where Fox kept showing Fallon on the screen between pitches, driving baseball fans all over the world crazy. Between Joe Buck's droning voice, Fox attitude's computer graphics and rocketship noises, and Jimmy Fallon on the screen every 3 minutes... Ugh what an annoying broadcast.

I do enjoy a good baseball film though. If this is close to Kingpin or Something About Mary, then that should be awesome. Jimmy Fallon though... UGH.

I finished the Wells book sometime last week. Long book. Several really good stories, but man that guy's long winded. Did he have to comment on every appearance he ever had? I mean, come ON.

Now I'm reading Robert Coover's Universal Baseball Association. I picked this up a while back, but never got around to it. Now that I'm reading it, it's a little weird. A lot of sexual references for a book about baseball dice games. It's creepy to be honest.

And news just came through that the Pads lost their game. OK, you got us Sexson, you rapscallion. You got us this time.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Richard Bart said...

Thanks for the Fever Pitch review. I'm a die-hard Sox fan, having grown up back there...been looking forward to this movie. I'm happy to see the positive review. A couple of my buddies who have season tix(ok, their parents are the ones who actually have the season tix...or friends of their parents...whatever, dammit I cannot tell a lie)at Fenway sat behind the filming of Drew and Jimmy in the stands on a few occasions last season. Interested to see if their ugly mugs make the cut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home